Boulevard News- Dec 2020
Small Business Access to Capital – Shop Local on The Blvd for the Holidays.
Everyone could use some access to capital these days, especially small business owners! Thankfully, the El Cajon Boulevard BIA has the Access to Capital (A2C) program to offer information and technical assistance with business financing. The Boulevard has developed a program with Civic Community Partners to respond to the capital needs of small businesses in underserved business corridors. Civic’s Economic and Community Development Manager Gustavo Bidart, developed this program to help small business owners learn about and access alternative and conventional financing options.
This program utilizes college seniors and recent graduates to expand the outreach and assistance provided by participating business associations. In addition to providing support and information to the small business community, this program provides the students with work experience and community organizing strategies. Training on community lending products is provided, including crowdfunding, microloans, small business loans and conventional Business loans. Thus far, The Boulevard has worked with 5 shining stars, all of who passed along their best practices on to one another.
Getting access to capital has been vitally important for businesses during the pandemic and having this program readily available has made a difference in our organization’s efforts to pivot and help our business community stay afloat. Our most recent intern, Liz Masad did an incredible job of boosting The Boulevard’s social media activity and promoting businesses during a time when online marketing and sales were essential.
The Boulevard is now hiring intern(s) for the upcoming year to support the Access to Capital program. If you know of a college senior wishing to make a difference in the community, please have them get in touch with beryl@theboulevard.
As well, you can help small businesses too with Access to Capital by shopping local. Here is a list of holiday specials on The Boulevard that will bring a big smile to your family, friends and loved ones.
Holiday Shopping on The Boulevard
East End Hub
- Ceramic Heights is offering clay kits that would make great presents!
- Su Pan Bakery has many delicious cakes and cookies to order for the holiday season.
- Head into Gem Coffee for a to-go cup of joe and a gift card for the holidays!
- Where to get great vegan food over the holidays? Little Saigon’s Thanh Tinh Chay has some amazing Vietnamese vegan options for the whole family. You’ve got to try their “Lotus Delight Salad.
- Enjoy a tray of A Chau’s famous egg rolls instead of Christmas usuals.
- Ho Hoa has some of the best Pho in San Diego to keep you warm and healthy throughout the holidays.
- El Toro Grill Taqueria has some delicious Christmas specials
- El Borrego Restaurant has family style orders – Lamb -8 hour process, juicy and tender ideal for soft tacos- Served with corn tortillas, cilantro, onion, lime and salsas.
- Come get some holiday gifts at Lili K Couture
- Check out Samarkand Cafe for some old world holiday Uzbek cuisine
- Dress your kids to some dapper clothes from Kid’s Ark for the holidays.
- Addis Ethiopean Restaurant for some hands on holiday delights
- Tamales El Mexicano for your holiday dinner!
- Support Soda Bar with a gift card or buy some merch.
- Venice Pizza House is offering holiday gift certificates – Buy $100 and get an additional $25 on them. *In-house purchase only*
- Check out Juneshine’s website for festive kombucha offerings and merchandise
- Coffee & Tea Collective is offering free shipping with the code WARMWISHES on awesome subscriptions and merchandise
- 20% off of your first month of membership at Hardihood!
- Holiday gift ideas at Home Brewing Co.!
- Gift certificates available at Rudfords Diner – pay $20 and gift $25 worth of food
- Collins & Coupe Gift cards + Each purchase of $25 or more at any of these participating shops is an entry to win a $250+ prize package!
- How about treating someone special to a delicious fusion of Morocan and Mexican food from Medina Kitchen? They sell gift cards too.
- Holiday spirits? Barn Brewery has beers for $5 and cocktails are $7
- The Village SD offers amazing vegan options! If you are interested in purchasing a gift card.
- Gihon Ethiopian Kitchen are offering take-out and delivery to keep you happy throughout the holidays.
- Yesenia’s Mexican food is a real favorite along The Boulevard.
- How about treating yourself to a Wine Club membership from Négociant Winery?
- Holiday cider? Gift cards available at Serpentine Cider.
- Pomegranate Restaurant is offering gift cards.
- Buy a bundle at Flavors of East Africa & get a free appetizer – Choice of masala fries, bhajia, or two farmers choice sausages
- Rep your local bar with some Gilly’s merchandise
- The Cave of Wonders has gemstones, jewelry, minerals,and so many other wonders!
- The Lafayette Hotel has a romantic Rise and Shine Special! Ooww-la-la!
- Head over to Tacos La Mezcla at the Boulevard Court (2104 ECB) for some great holiday hang-over food. 😉 Text order to (619) 889-1337
- Yummy Lebanese food at Mama’s Bakery SD
- Tap Room Beer Co. is offering a deal for $100 gift cards, with $20 for yourself. Running all month long!
- Loving Hut has gift certificates – Another great option for vegan delights during the holidays.
- Try two weeks for $20 at Liber8 Fit – gift cards are also available!
- More Holiday gift cards? Pizzeria Bruno Napoletano is the Best of the Best!
The Boulevard Annual Meeting & Awards Ceremony
Year in Review and Board Election
When: Thursday, January 21st, 2021
Where: Online – Zoom
Or by Phone: (669)900-6833
Meeting ID: 941 1314 1951
Please contact us prior to the meeting if you need assistance with Zoom: email@example.com
Attend Our Weekly Clean-ups
Wednesday’s at 8:30 am (5005 El Cajon Boulevard)
Thursday’s at 10:30 am (2876 El Cajon Boulevard)